PayPal Express Checkout
PayPal has quickly become a global leader in online payment solutions. The PayPal Express Checkout button gives wine buyers another way to pay, and it complements the new checkout tools. Online shoppers appreciate the convenience and security of PayPal, where they can pay with their PayPal balance, bank account or credit card without sharing or entering any information on the merchant’s site.
Enabling PayPal Express Checkout will provide your customers with an addtional payment method (PayPal) during their checkout experience on your website.
1. Go to developer.paypal.com.
2. Click Log into Dashboard in the upper right.
3. Login with your regular PayPal account credentials.
4. Once logged in, click My Apps & Credentials in the upper left.
5. Scroll down to the REST API apps section and select Create App.
6. Type in any app name (usually the name of your business) and click Create App.
7. Click Live in the upper right (default is Sandbox).
8. Click Show under Secret.
9. On the top right hand corner, set your PayPal account to Live.
10. In the WineDirect Admin Panel, go to Settings > Website Settings > Store tab. Enter in your PayPal Client ID and PayPal Client Secret and hit Apply Changes. (Note: User must be a Domain Admin and have Is Developer settings enabled to access Website Settings. If you are unable to access Website Settings, please reach out to email@example.com).
10. Once it displays Account Connected, your customers can begin using PayPal as a payment method.
Note: Depending on your PayPal account settings, your PayPal transactions may not send back Billing Information such as name, address and phone number to WineDirect. If this is the case for you, please reach out to our PayPal partners at 1-855-787-6116 Option 2. Let them know you are using WineDirect and ask to enable the Billing Address flag.
Currently, PayPal Express is only available on New Checkout.
Customers will see on the cart that you offer PayPal, as it will appear with your other payment options.
On The Checkout Page:
PayPal will take the fee out of the transaction. So there is no invoice or bill that you need to deal with.
When Paypal is enabled, a Payment Type named "Paypal" will automatically be created. For Reporting, orders processed using Paypal as payment will display "Paypal" under the Payment Type column.
The most common reasons are:
You’ll need a PayPal Express Checkout Business Account. You can set one up here.
While it is possible, we highly do not recommend doing this. Each Paypal Business Account can only have one register business name. Your customers will only see that busniess name regardless of which website they ordered from. This can lead to confusion and chargeback scenarios.
There is also no method of differentiating which websites orders are coming from on the reporting side. Best practice would be to create one Paypal Business Account per website.
Once you process a refund in WineDirect, the refund will automatically refund in PayPal. No need to log In to PayPal as well - the refund is done for you automatically!
At this time, PayPal cannot be used to replace the Credit Card on File for Club Membership. It isn't available as a Payment Type on the Club Signup Form.
Depending on your PayPal account settings, your PayPal transactions may not send back Billing Information such as name, address and phone number to WineDirect. If this is the case for you, please reach out to our PayPal partners at 1-855-787-6116 Option 2. Let them know you are using WineDirect and ask to enable the Billing Address flag.
PayPal transactions are captured in an earlier step during the Website checkout flow in comparison to Credit Card transactions. Because of this, if a customer makes a purchase without logging in first, any Promos they are eligible to receive will not be applied to the order.
For Credit Card transactions, a customer can enter their email address in the Checkout page without logging in first and still receive the Promos associated to that email address.