As of July 26, 2019, WineDirect has completed a comprehensive third-party accessibility audit certifying that our ecommerce tools meet the accessibility standards set by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). Click here for full details.
Under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), your winery must meet federal standards to ensure that all individuals, including those of diverse ability levels, can access your website.
While the ADA itself does not specify requirements you must follow, the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) provide a single shared standard for website accessibility that meets the needs of individuals, organizations, and governments internationally.
The ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) applies only to businesses operating in the United States. However, most countries have similar accessibility legislation in place and reference the same Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) version 2.0.
As a business owner, you are ultimately responsible for ensuring your website meets ADA standards, but there are a number of resources available to assist. We can help guide you.
All the pages of your website must adhere to the guidelines. Your website as a whole is made up of two parts: customized web content pages, and transactional pages.
Examples of customized web content include:
- Your About page
- Your Visit Us page
- Your Vineyard pages
- All other general information pages
Examples of transactional pages include:
- Your shopping cart
- Wine club pages
- User account pages
For your customized web content:
- If you built your site using a WineDirect template after July 26, 2019 then your website is included in our audit and no updates are necessary. However, if you made any customizations to the template you will need to ensure those changes meet accessibility requirements.
- If you built your site before this date, you will need to engage an independent designer to make certain accessibility updates. We have checklists they can follow and can provide additional guidance as needed.
If you used a third-party template, web designer or design firm to build your site, you’ll want to reach out to them directly. We can provide guidance if they have questions or need support.
For your transactional pages:Your shopping cart, wine club and user account management pages are built on the WineDirect platform.
- If you haven’t customized these pages: They will automatically update as we make changes to the platform.
- If you have customized these pages: You’ll want to connect with an an independent designer for assistance.
- Note: These enhancements apply to our new checkout tools and are not effective with our old checkout tools. To upgrade to the new checkout tools, read more here.
The ADA does not currently set specific requirements or standards a website must meet to be “compliant”, so much is open to interpretation. However, certain guidelines exist that are considered the standard in assessing ADA compliance and are followed by many US courts. Our recent audit affirms that, among other things, WineDirect’s website templates “substantially conform with Level A and Level AA of the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) version 2.0” used as this common standard.
Our audit applies to all WineDirect website templates in their original form implemented after July 26, 2019. For clients who signed up prior to this date, you will need to hire a designer to make certain updates to their site. These updates are outlined here. Because of the technical nature of the updates, we strongly recommend that you hire a designer or developer to execute these tasks
For clients who signed up after that date, your sites are included in the audit. However, if you make changes to the template, you will need to ensure that those updates meet ADA accessibility requirements.
Click here for a list of design partners who offer ADA / accessibility services and can help you identify and execute necessary updates.
Our audit did not examine third-party templates (such as those created by WineGlass Marketing or Vintools) and does not include custom designs. We recommend you reach out to your designer or developer to inquire about their accessibility standards. If you need help identifying a designer who can help you with making updates, please refer to the list below.
Note that as long as you have NOT made customizations to the checkout, club member or user account management pages, those sections WILL be updated automatically in line with our accessibility guidelines.
Yes – as a courtesy, we are happy to provide this set of accessibility recommendations to the web designers certified to work on our platform.
The updates you may need to make are very technical. We highly recommend consulting with a professional designer to complete them. This resource can help your designer implement changes to your website.
Yes. We are making enhancements to ensure that going forward, all our new templates are accessible in accordance with recommended guidelines.
The following independent designers meet WineDirect platform standards and can provide ADA compliance services. We recommend you review their services and rates and reach out to them directly for a detailed quote.
- Highway 29
- Web Accessibility Solution ($70 per month)
- We provide a Statement of Accessibility for your website
- Meets ADA and WCAG 2.1 Compliance Standards
- Our solution automatically scans your website and modifies your website code every 24 hours when it encounters an issue. This includes: Screen-reader optimization, keyboard navigation optimizations, font handling, color handling, animations, content highlighting, audio muting, cognitive linking to Wikipedia
- Automatically adds alt-tags to all images based on machine learning image recognition. Unlike other solutions with a “one time audit", when you add a new photo, its will automatically add the alt-tag.
- Accessibility is not a one time project. To be in compliance you need to be continually updating your code every time you add new content (copy, photo, wine, etc). Our monthly service is enables you to keep your site up to date with compliance standards.
- Kraftwerk Design
- ADA Services (rate varies)
- Accessibility audit—A, AA and AAA levels review according to Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.1 which were developed to help websites meet Section 508 regulatory law. This includes human testing, not just automated testing.
- Page speed and code-quality audit—this is a review of how your website is built, the platform it lives on, caching, SEO meta structure, image compression, and other factors that affect user-experience and loading times.
- Estimates to remediate conformance issues.
- Optional proposal for Kraftwerk Design to perform a11y remediation work if company does not have a web professional they work with.
- Follow-up audit after remediation work is performed.
- Kreck Design
- Initial audit (2-3 hours for $240 - $360)
- Covers human testing of your site and evaluates compliance with WCAG v2.1 accessibility guidelines, typically at the AA level.
- Determines if the site needs updates to provide better text content, visual components, keyboard accessibility or other things to assist those with disabilities using assistive technologies.
- Report is provided in a clear, executive summary format which minimizes “technical speak”
- Details identify urgent and less urgent items and then helps determine a timeline to meet your goals within your budget.
- Maps out next steps in a concise report.
- Implementation determined by audit (rate varies, but often $500 - $1,500)
- Scope of work can be adjusted to fit your needs and budget
- Help with everything from small text tweaks through more comprehensive changes such as making the site responsive to fit screens of all sizes.
- Updates to more than just web pages including items such as PDFs, PowerPoint presentations, adding video captioning, and other assets that are also covered by the ADA.
- Training to content editors to maintain long-term ADA compliance
- Follow-up testing to ensure compliance in the future
- Left Coast Marketing & Design
- SEO + ADA service bundle add-on ($1500 + $500 per month for ongoing SEO and $100 per month for ongoing ADA website maintenance)
- Offering 20% off when you sign up by 1/31/19
- Standalone ADA services also available
- WineGlass Marketing
- ADA-compliance package ($1,500)
Complete site audit for accessibility to WCAG 2.0 AA guidelines (WCAG 2.1 available for an additional fee)
Ensure that all images have good ALT text where appropriate
Check all links to be sure they contain clear, relevant text
Check templates to be sure they have the language defined in the HTML code
Add hidden “skip to main content” link at the top of all pages
Check all text to be sure it has enough contrast and is easily read
Add scripting to close modal windows and cart popup when the escape key is pressed
Make sure site is functional when page is zoomed up to 200%
Run site through online accessibility checker to identify and correct any other issues
- Monthly maintenance package $29.99/month
- Wine Works
- Accessibility audit (starts at $1,200)
- Check the language defined in the HTML code
- Review all images and ensure they have good ALT text where necessary
- Check all links to be sure they contain clear and relevant text
- Add “skip to main content” link on all templates for screen readers
- Identify where text is over top of an image check contrast
- Add ability to close modals with escape key is press
- Make sure site displays well when zoomed up to 200%
- Identify any other ADA standards that could require additional billable work and budget such as video captioning, or adding graphs for complex content
- a. Bright Idea
- ADA compliance services available (rate varies)
- Cakewalk Design
- ADA compliance checklist and review ($1,000-$1,500 depending on site size)
- CF Napa brand design
- ADA compliance services available (rate varies)
- ADA compliance audit and implementation (rate varies)
- Site performance audit and implementation (rate varies)
- Fertile Minds
- Initial audit (Free)
- Additional work resulting from findings of audit (rate varies)
- ADA compliance services available (rate varies)